1937, Motosacoche 720 | Switzerland 🇨🇭
The motorcycle is displayed at the Motorworld by V. Sheyanov, Motorcycle Museum.
The Motosacoche company was founded in 1899 by two extraordinary Swiss guys, Henri, and Armand Dufaux. The first product of the company was an unusual engine that looked like a triangle bag and was attached to the bicycle’s frame, transforming it into the motorcycle imitation. That’s how the company got its name – “moto-sacoche” literally translates as “motorcycle bag”.
Both brothers were great inventors and pioneers of aviation, but if one was fascinated by painting, the other was the first person to fly across the Leman lake. The popularity came to them unexpectedly, and there was an urgent need for opening of another factory in Italy and later in France. The “motor-bag” has gradually evolved into a real motorcycle engine, known as MAG.
By that time the Dufaux brothers have released their fourth experimental airplane and their innovations got the attention of the military. It was a hard choice between the sky and the ground…
In 1910 a decision was finally made and both brothers have left the Motosacoche company. Armand went back to his aircrafts and Henri devoted his life to art.
With them gone, the company lost its identity. The 720 Tourisme Grand Luxe motorcycle with an 850cc V-type L-head engine (18 hp) was the latest creation of the Motosacoche.
This bike was equipped with the short leading link fork (used on Harley-Davidson model), electrical Bosch system, Amal carburetor, and MAG engine. It was an expensive, luxurious heavy motorcycle, richly trimmed with chrome.